Yamaha Stage Custom

You are here:Home/Forums/Drums/Yamaha Stage Custom
Yamaha Stage Custom 2017-07-10T09:58:07+00:00

Home Forums Drums Yamaha Stage Custom

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    #295 |

Morning all.

Recently acquired a Yamaha Stage Custom, in red. Just wondering if anyone had any info on the range, and how I could tell how old it is, what wood it’s made of etc? Looks like it’s got the original heads on it and it sounded like a great big bag of poo when I first set it up. Ten minutes tuning and it sounded much better, but I need to get some decent heads on it. Feels pretty well built, and I got it for a bargain price at £75 for a 4 piece with hardware!

Profile photo of SharklaarSharklaar
    Participant

Further to this, I done me some research. So if anyone is interested…

Here’s a page that dates Yamaha drums by serial number:
    http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/musical-instruments/drums/ac-drumsets/806/4177/

Here’s a page that tells you all the details and composition of a shell by model number:
    http://www.yamaha.com/yamahadrums/drumvault/default.asp

So it transpires that my kit is a 1996 Indonesian-built kit, made of Birch/Mahogany/Falkata, with 8 ply toms and 9 ply BD.

Profile photo of murphstermurphster
    Participant

For 75 quid I’d say thats a pretty decent bargain. I’ve played a few at kitshares and rehearsal studios and been impressed by the build quality and ease of tuning for what was essentially a budget kit, am i right?

Participant

I think Yamaha classed them as Intermediate rather than budget, so the level above their Power V range. They look pretty sound though, gonna chuck some Code heads on them and see how they sound. They need a bit of a clean up, hardware needs a bit of a polish but I reckon it’ll be pretty good when I’m done!Can probably make a wee profit if I sell them, or might keep them for kit-share gigs and whatnot.

Profile photo of murphstermurphster
    Participant

Good find mate. I’m always tempted by the high end kits but then think i can get a mapex m or something similar for a few hundred quid and put decent heads on it and it sounds great. Was talking to a fella this weekend who found a tama rock star in a skip, offerd the fella 30 quid. Cleaned re skinned and tuned. Has now got a very serviceable kit for gigging for peanuts.

Participant

Nice! My current go-to kit is a Prem APK that cost me -£10 (bought for £40, sold one of the toms for £50). Cleaned it up, decent heads and it’s a lovely kit 🙂

Profile photo of nickhnickh
    Participant

The first proper kit I bought new (circa 1988) was a bright red APK , hi tension lugs, 12,13,16,22 plus 8 and 10 toms on a seperate stand.
    I gigged it for many years as a 10,12,16,22 and never felt inclined to change it until I played a top line Sonor.
    I’m a Sonor man now but the APK was/is a fabulous kit.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.