Spd-s samples cut short? Moved From Old Forum

You are here:Home/Forums/Electronics/Spd-s samples cut short? Moved From Old Forum
Spd-s samples cut short? Moved From Old Forum 2017-06-16T22:40:56+00:00

Home Forums Electronics Spd-s samples cut short? Moved From Old Forum

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
  • Profile photo of Simon EdgooseSimon Edgoose
    Keymaster
    #129 |

chrisgriff
    New Contributer

48 Posts

Posted – 21/02/2017 : 21:57:32 Show Profile Visit chrisgriff’s Homepage Reply with Quote
    Evening all. I’ve recently bought a Roland spd-s to use to trigger occasional samples and to play backing tracks. I’ve recorded a couple of ‘spoken word’ samples into it which play back successfully, but when I then play other sounds over them, the longer samples are cut short.

Any suggestions as to how I can work around this? Thanks!
    beezerk
    Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
    30112 Posts

Posted – 22/02/2017 : 14:33:25 Show Profile Visit beezerk’s Homepage Reply with Quote
    IIRC it can only play so many voices at once (can’t remember how many exactly) so if you are playing a beat over a triggered sample it will stop it after say 8 hits. Someone more clever than me can expand properly on that
    http://photobucket.com/albums/c41/beezerkdrums/

https://www.justgiving.com/MartynVaughan
    Go to Top of Page
    simedgoose

United Kingdom
    574 Posts

Posted – 22/02/2017 : 20:47:12 Show Profile Visit simedgoose’s Homepage Reply with Quote
    It sounds like the pads are on the same Mute Group. One pad will cut the other off (useful for setting up hi hats and the like). Look under trigger settings. (Hold page and hit the pad then cycle through using the Page button. Turn Mute Group for both pads to Off if my memory serves correctly.
    Go to Top of Page
    chrisgriff
    New Contributer

48 Posts

Posted – 23/02/2017 : 16:31:17 Show Profile Visit chrisgriff’s Homepage Reply with Quote
    Thanks! simedgoose, I’ll give that a try later. I think I know what you mean. Beezerk – if that’s the case, is there anything I can do about it, or am I just destined to have staccato vocal samples over my 16th note hi-hats?

…all this makes me realise why I wanted to play drums in the first place – no computers, no wires, no electrics to go wrong… pfft!
    Go to Top of Page
    Bewdy
    Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
    1406 Posts

Posted – 24/02/2017 : 09:02:57 Show Profile Visit Bewdy’s Homepage Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by chrisgriff

Thanks! simedgoose, I’ll give that a try later. I think I know what you mean. Beezerk – if that’s the case, is there anything I can do about it, or am I just destined to have staccato vocal samples over my 16th note hi-hats?

…all this makes me realise why I wanted to play drums in the first place – no computers, no wires, no electrics to go wrong… pfft!

If it’s a polyphony issue, which it could be as the SPD-SX has only 20 simultaneous voices, it might be that your hi-hat samples are too long, ie the tail of the sound is longer than it needs to be, so it is still playing the very quiet bit at the end of sample one, underneath the attack portion of 20th triggered sample. Does that make sense?

Have a look at the wave data for the hi hat sound you’re having trouble with, it could be there’s a bit of silence or a long tail off on the sample which you could chop off to fix the issue. But more likely it’s a mute group thing.

I have an SPD-SX, to be honest these drum samplers are so behind the rest of current technology it’s embarrassing!! Even 15 years ago it was commonplace for Akai samplers to be pushing out 64 note poly, plus volume envelopes, plus real time pitch shifting, plus resonant filters, plus modulation. I think the sound engine tech inside the SPD-SX must be very old, it’s definitely not even close to cutting edge.
    http://www.urbanstart.co.uk
    WORK: http://www.virtual-engineering.co.uk PLAY: http://soundcloud.com/voodoo-cartel
    Go to Top of Page
    simedgoose

United Kingdom
    574 Posts

Posted – 24/02/2017 : 15:58:15 Show Profile Visit simedgoose’s Homepage Reply with Quote
    You may well be right Bewdy. Its an SPDS as well, not an SPDSX so that means only 8 note polyphony.

I have a client who was using an SPDSX on stage in front of quite a few thousand people. Everything in rehearsal was fine, but on stage he got a little excited, did an extra double stroke all at a critical point, and all the backing tracks stopped. He had gone over the 20 note polyphony limit so the unit stole the next available note, which was playing the track. Try and explain that to the audience…

I agree totally about all this gear being WELL behind the times. The tech inside isn’t neccesarily old, but it is cheap. Its not just Roland, its everybody. I had a phone call from a company (not a company I usually work for) a few weeks ago asking for advice – how long should it take for the module to change patches when you push the button? ‘A second is a bit slow but you might get away with it, half a second would be nice’ I replied. There was a pause at the other end ‘… So 20-30 seconds is too long then?’. I rest my case
    Go to Top of Page
    chrisgriff
    New Contributer

48 Posts

Posted – 02/03/2017 : 08:11:40 Show Profile Visit chrisgriff’s Homepage Reply with Quote
    Thanks for the advice all. I am bracing myself to have another go at it over the weekend.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.