Snare Mic Advice – Moved From The Old Forum

You are here:Home/Forums/Help & Advice/Snare Mic Advice – Moved From The Old Forum
Snare Mic Advice – Moved From The Old Forum 2017-06-16T23:24:52+00:00

Home Forums Help & Advice Snare Mic Advice – Moved From The Old Forum

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster
    #162 |

Unkle Kev
    Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
    2164 Posts

Posted – 02/04/2017 : 12:20:37 Show Profile Visit Unkle Kev’s Homepage Reply with Quote
    Hi troops. Looking for some advice from you experienced types!

I’m setting up for gigging with my new band, we’ll be playing covers so I expect to be playing venues with at least a vocal PA.

I’m looking to do some basic sound reinforcement as opposed to a full blown kit sound. Triggers on the bass drum and toms to trigger samples off my Roland TM-2, and a clip on snare mic. I’ll either run them into the house desk, or via a little 6 channel desk I have for EQ and volume into a stereo channel on the house vocal PA.

My question is, from your experience, will the snare mic sound okay without compression and effects, or will it sound pants?

Cheers for your help!
    Captain Bubble
    Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
    19666 Posts

Posted – 02/04/2017 : 19:36:15 Show Profile Visit Captain Bubble’s Homepage Reply with Quote
    A good drum, good heads, snares and tuning are the most important thing. Different players, different sticks and different locations and set-up positions (in corner, up against wall) add more variability and you will need to learn how to tweak and adjust all the factors to get the best mic’d up sound for your mic and p/a.

The harder you play the less you may need compression, but it’s reasonably easy to get to grips with. I doubt anyone ever left a gig because the drummer was not using any effects, but if you, your band and your music would sound good with them then go ahead, but I would concentrate on getting a feel for mic’ing before getting into effects unless there is a very good reason.

If 12 volt Phantom Power is available on desk, you will be able to use active mics with a far greater frequency response and IMO these are usually better on Live drums than passives. If no PP, you can get a pre-amp with PP. I have 2 Behringer Tube Ultragain Mic 100 preamps (£30-£40 each) and find them extremely good for the money. The “Tube” allows an overdriven sound, not usually wanted on drums but handy for other instruments and voice.

I also have a pair of Behringer C overhead mics and use them for live and recordings, even work well on hihat, cymbals, toms and some BDs
    Marcus de Mowbray
    http://www.330studios.co.uk/marcus
    Go to Top of Page
    Booma
    Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
    362 Posts

Posted – 09/04/2017 : 17:52:00 Show Profile Visit Booma’s Homepage Reply with Quote
    Hi Unkle Kev,

…my tuppence worth….

For some larger venues (not properly large, just bigger than the average pub) I often use an SM57 between the snare and the hi-hat, just to add a litte volume. It goes straight into a basic PA and the effects are minimal. I’m inclined to think that even if I was to improve the mic set up and use a small mixer/desk to add some decent effects the biggest constraint will be the quality of our PA and speakers – which, tbh, is pretty basic. Also, we rarely get time to do a proper sound check and so I doubt I’d get the opportunity to optimise the effects for different venues (layouts/size). At one time I did look at using some triggering (Hector1 from the forum was very knowledgeable and helpful) but in the end decided I was already carrying round too much gear. Now, if only I could afford a drum tech ……

Do let us know what you decide and how you get on.

http://www.bluescalepublishing.co.uk
    Go to Top of Page
    Captain Bubble
    Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
    19666 Posts

Posted – 10/04/2017 : 08:10:51 Show Profile Visit Captain Bubble’s Homepage Reply with Quote
    The 57 was very popular for years, I have one too and love it. Modern actives ARE more capable, but that does not mean that 57s are suddenly “Bad” mics! For simple, Passive reinforcement a 57 will do you proud.
    Marcus de Mowbray
    http://www.330studios.co.uk/marcus

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.