Playing Cajon

You are here:Home/Forums/General Discussion/Playing Cajon
Playing Cajon 2017-07-17T13:25:42+00:00

Home Forums General Discussion Playing Cajon

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Participant

The volume is perfect for playing along with a band playing acoustic guitars, mandolins etc. I play it using the brushes I mentioned above so it’s easy to adjust volume accordingly. However it really does need to be miked up if the rest of the band is – I have played un-miked but it’s not much fun.

At a basic level you could strip out the cymbal and the fixed hi-hat. To begin with I just played the two cajons – if you play with brushes then you can approximate a hi-hat sound with ghost notes on the cajon snare. I also have one of these on my left foot to replace hi-hat pedalling:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/lp_lp188_foot_tambourine.htm?glp=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwtdbLBRALEiwAm8pA5RdKf2wt3T9qeggMQwMFzVWDnGuUYi462Jroaqh9SDzEjwYEBjixBhoCCUwQAvD_BwE

That said, that fixed hi-hat thing is brilliant. I mentioned it in another post – it’s not cheap but it works and by the time I’d sourced the material to make it myself plus the time involved I don’t regret it for a minute.

The cymbal is probably the weakest area. I’ve tried top and bottom hats from 14″ XS20 and 12″ Dream Bliss and have now settled on the Dream Bliss top. It works as a little ride and crash but is more for background sound and also something to bounce off when getting into a groove if that make sense. If anyone knows of a really good 12″ crash-ride let me know!

I’ll see if I can upload a recording.

Profile photo of Hector1Hector1
    Participant

Many thanks for the link to the Pearl-really like that-how about adding one of these to it?
    https://www.gak.co.uk/en/rhythm-tech-laptop-practice-snare-rt7600/41461?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1uC5_7Ki1QIVzLDtCh0JCgKeEAYYASABEgKp2fD_BwE

I’ve had one of these for years and they really do play well-placed into a snare stand or suitable bracket with the Pearl you could be onto the next generation Trap’s kit!

The Laptop does sound awesome by itself though and you could probably use a stomp box and this alone to lighten the load that little bit more.

Here’s a stomp box example to…
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/finhol_kickbox_mark_iii.htm?sid=602ddf31f5dd52cad68b636632ea6228

• This reply was modified 3 months, 4 weeks ago by Profile photo of Hector1 Hector1.
    Profile photo of CeejCeej
    Participant

Mini snares – that’s worth a thread on its own. I’m looking for something along the lines of that laptop one. What’s the volume like?

As for stomp boxes I’m intrigued – I’m seeing them a lot at open mics now but they do need to be amped up.

Here’s a non-mic version – which brings us back to cajons:

http://www.knockonwood.co.uk/prod/Cajon-Accessories/Meinl-Bassbox.htm

Participant

Thanks Ceej for the link to the stomp box that Meinl produce-yes that’s a bit more acoustic driven as well and cheaper, I have seen various versions of these over the last couple of years at gigs etc. Some are even hand built by the drummers themselves and when miked up sound great-brilliant alternative to lugging a Main Kick drum around, obviously whatever the gig requires, but certainly a very credible piece of kit indeed.

Yes the Laptop is a great piece of kit and its not shy on the volume front I can tell you 🙂 Its full size by the way and when I want to tame it a bit I use a Roland ring on the outside rim or for a quitter practice on of the old Dixon pads with the centre area raised to get that accent toward the middle when required etc. Its not tuneable but that is not a problem at all its a Snare and that’s it.I think its a brilliant bit of kit although the neighbours probably wouldn’t agree-no seriously if you behave yourself most people are fine.

I cant remember how much I paid for it at the time, but have had some great fun with it and its magic with the brushes etc. I rate the quality as well to being very good indeed. I also have the Regal Nylon brushes that you posted a link to as well and they really are good and come highly recommended indeed.

As and aside ‘I didn’t get where I am today banging on about snares’ sorry Ceej – just wondered if you might have been a distant fan of the Reggie Perrin Era? LOL

Anyway hopefully some of this will help for Shark to take a look at the various options open now and hopefully see if he feels comftable with setting something up soon and giving it a trial with the Band-be a lot easier than balancing on that box and be able to get a lot more sound options open together with portability in mind aswell,may well lead to a more percussive lead into Sharks vocabulary and techniques etc.

Profile photo of CeejCeej
    Participant

Ceej is a nickname that came as a shortened version (phonetically) of CJ. I do get Perrin references occasionally but am much more of a Rigsby fan.

I’ll look at that RhythmTech snare. On the face of it it looks quite pricey compared to, say, a Sonor Jungle. Can you play it with sticks?

Participant

Thanks Ceej

yes remember Rigsby well and your right the Sunshine Deserts thing was a bit much to take in at the time-bit like Monty Python but daft as it was Reggie was brilliant and of Course Rigsby to-dear Leonard what an actor.

Not sure about the pricing with regard to the Sonor Jungle as you posted as was not aware of that, it was a case of what I have at the moment-but anything Sonor is always worth a look.

Yes Ceej no problem with the Sticks either it really is a great piece of kit and was surprised at its costs these days I must admit-but no regrets with it and it comes in a carry satchel with a handy sleeve at the front to store sticks and brushes alike. I also keep the Dixon practice mute pad inside the bag as well as the Roland dampening ring so works out all round for me when I can make some noises with it that is! LOL.I mainly use electronics these days and have a small Roland kit with some drum machines sample pads etc and can put together all manner of combinations to keep the creative and exploratory senses going for ages which keeps practice time fresh and open to so many different sounds to that of just acoustic drum. 🙂

Profile photo of SharklaarSharklaar
    Participant

We recorded a rehearsal a while ago, guitarist has just got around to mixing it…

Allegedly, the cameras only caught the first minute or so of this song so he put a load of footage from other songs into it. But here it is…

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.