New Kit.

You are here:Home/Forums/General Discussion/New Kit.
New Kit. 2017-08-19T15:12:30+00:00

Home Forums General Discussion New Kit.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
  • Profile photo of Chris HutchinsonChris Hutchinson
    Participant
    #475 |

Thanks to the lads for the advice regarding “Bags or Cases ” Here’s the thing. For my 60th at Christmas I am going too treat myself to a brand new kit. But I have a lot off questions to ask. The way I would like to play it is to by a good intermediate 4 piece shell. But then really go all out for a snare and cymbals. There is no time line on this but I have been looking and really enjoying learning about whats out there. At the moment I have a nice Mapex Meridian Maple 5 piece.Smashing kit but I have an opportunity to upgrade and following a stroke last year , intend to take it. The First question was the “Bags or Cases” the second is you may think rather strangely. I am looking for a new good light if possible Snare stand. Thats your starter for 10.

Profile photo of Hector1Hector1
    Participant

Chris well done with your recovery from the stroke and nice move to a new kit for Xmas,what kind of thing you opting for there or is that part of an up and coming progression before finally decision being made?

Also on the point of the Snare stand I think you will probably find most are alike but just try and get something that has great adjustability for all the angles etc and the weight thing is what you feel comftable with at the end of the day but if you can advise on what snare you may be fitting that might help a bit.

I have long wondered on the point of weight as well and have recently been questioning as to why the manufacturers haven’t opted for carbon fibre yet?

Okay it may be expensive but a lot of turntable manufactures for records have changed over to this material and its now very highly regarded for its performance and durability.If stands were made of such like that would be a dream to transport and seems quite a good material to explore possibly?-Just a thought 🙂

Profile photo of Chris HutchinsonChris Hutchinson
    Participant

Hi Hector. Thanks for the advice. Snare size will probably be 14′ X 6″. I have Pearl, Ludwig, Yamaha in my head. Excellent idea on the carbon fibre. Get a patent slapped on it. Anything to make the load lighter. Its like moving a small village.

Profile photo of Hector1Hector1
    Participant

Thanks Chris:)

Yes the Carbon thing has bugged me for a while now!-A while ago a friend of mine had some aluminium stands made up with single throw hand locks and they were amazing albeit a one off.
    The Snares you mention are very credible indeed-check out the Pearl Floaters, the Ludwig’s are superb but the older the better with those IMO likewise with the Yamaha’s. AS an alternative though check out some of the Tama’s and of course the Awesome Sonar’s :)I messed about a while ago with a Deelite and that was something else-it just sung songs to me and the guy that tuned it up was amazing – I can honestly say I haven’t heard really anything that good since -but that’s personal choice-do like a bit of Sonor. I have had some other experiences with the Crav/s etc which are mind bending money, but at the end of the day its got to be value for money with drums-all the esoteric stuff is all well and good, but in the real world like pubs and clubs etc it would just be a fashion fad to use such a thing and probably get damaged at some stage so not really worth the while. Also might be worth keeping some money aside for a possible Hybrid consideration aswell,you sure can have a lot of fun just adding a couple of pads and that lightens the load a whole lot. I have a Roland TD4KP kit at the moment which obviously is a Leccy but fully portable and really good fun to play-but acoustic is still the master though specially live.

Profile photo of MarkWMarkW
    Participant

I have a full set of the DW 6000 Series Ultralight stands and can recommend “some” of them.
    For me the straight cymbal stands are a no brainer, as long as you use straight stands normally and don’t set them ridiculously high then they work and work well. Even my 20″ Meinl Raker Heavy Rude is supported and stable.
    The Hi Hat stand is a curates egg, it works, its light, but it does wobble. I’ve decided that it’s a compromise in lightness and function that I’m prepared to accept but I would never argue against someone who disagreed.
    The snare stand is great for 14″ snares. A non geared filter does perhaps need a bit of tightening but again it’s light and it works. I don’t find it suitable for my 12″ snares though. The stand has the “old fashioned” style snare basket with a long arm that moved in and out to tighten the drum in place. On a 14″ drum th centre of the drum sits directly over the vertical post of the stand. On a 12″ drum the centre of the drum is off centre so hard hitting and especially rim shots results in it tilting towards you. This is a huge shame as I do favour a 12″ drum and I’m going to examine possible diy options to bolster up the filter (a larger surface are washer has been suggested) but for a 14″ snare I highly recommend looking at one.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.