Musings on cheap cymbals. – ~Moved From The Old Forum

You are here:Home/Forums/Cymbals/Musings on cheap cymbals. – ~Moved From The Old Forum
Musings on cheap cymbals. – ~Moved From The Old Forum 2017-06-16T23:19:27+00:00

Home Forums Cymbals Musings on cheap cymbals. – ~Moved From The Old Forum

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
  • Profile photo of Simon EdgooseSimon Edgoose
    Keymaster
    #158 |

Bloomdido
    Excellent Contributer

United Kingdom
    202 Posts

Posted – 10/10/2016 : 00:51:39 Show Profile Visit Bloomdido’s Homepage Reply with Quote
    Since I returned to drumming in my forties, I have used a fair few cymbals acquired when buying kits and more recently, buying cheap or damaged cymbals as cheap as chips on Ebay. I joined a British R ‘n B band playing some Feelgood, Pirates and original songs. We were brash and jangly.

I started with a 2nd hand AAX set; Hats, 16” crash, 18” AAX Xplosion crash and a Stage ride. I never liked the ride much and used a Pro Sonix ride in its place most of the time. I still have it as my ‘benchmark ride cymbal. The 18” crash was awesome and used to frustrate and annoy my guitarist due to its volume and attack as he was on ear-level with it. I still have the 16” which has a crack near the bell but it still does the job, the hats, I tend to keep for gigs.

I acquired a UFIP Class 16 crash and 22 ride which I used for a while and heard other drummers play, Monty the drummer with Wilko Johnson being one of them. I recall that the nicest crash I had at the time was a Stagg 16 SH. I had some trouble believing my ears as it only cost me £40.00. Sadly I lent it to someone.

I sold the UFIPs for a decent sum. The ride went to Australia for £60 postage. I went back to the Pro Sonic ride whilst searching for ‘the one’. A Zildjian A ride was next. It cost me £60, a bargain. I was in a blues band by this time and the Zildjian was a nice compromise, crashing as well as producing a sweet ping. Sadly, I fell upon hard times and it had to go.

A year ago I fell in with a Black Sabbath band. All of a sudden, It was ok to have lots of cymbals and hit them loudly and not just at the end of fills. The practice kit, a Ludwig budget job with the extra 10” tom was a joy to play. The house cymbals, a mix of ZBT and ZHT did the job and sounded ok. I added my SH Stagg 16, the 16 AAX cracked crash and all was good.

I wandered in to a Cash Converters shop (where 2nd-hand stuff is sold at top prices and on weekly payment deals, to find a stack of cymbals that included a Paiste PST5 and 502 ride amongst other things (including a Paiste 101 ride priced at £60.00). I got both rides for £50.00 and fell for the 502 in a big way. I believe it is made from the same bronze as the 2002 range but involves less manufacturing time. The PST5 wasn’t bad and at £25.00 would have held its own against cymbals valued at four times as much.

Next up from Cash Converters was a Stagg DH 14” China that cost me £20.00. Then I rediscovered Ebay. I have since bought.

Stagg Myra 18 Crash Scallop repair to edge £23.00
    Stagg China 16 Two cracks along the flange £18.00
    Paiste Rude 3000 Crash/Ride 3” crack £15.00
    Stagg Brilliant Rock 14 Hats. Described as fine. Maybe some slight warping? £33.00
    Zyn Set: 14 Hats, 16, 20″ Described as fine. Some slight nicks to edges. May polish out. £55.50 including a Zyn bag.
    Paiste 502+ China No defects – Yet to arrive. £42
    Paiste 502+ 18 Crash No defects – Yet to arrive. £32

So what impressed me?

I have never owned a China previously. The Stagg 14” sounded as I would have expected. Different tones in different places. Trashy crash and almost gong like when hit on the edge. I can’t fault it.

The 16” China with the cracks sounded ‘bigger’ than the 14” with some ‘buzz’ which I was able to minimise by stopping the crack rubbing against itself. It looks pretty awful but it sounds way beyond an £18 cymbal.

I will let you know what the 502+ 18” China sounds like.

The Stagg Myra is an amazing cymbal. It cuts through distorted guitar on ‘eleven’ like a knife through margarine. It is everything I want from a crash. The Myra sells for under £150. I expect the AAX costs at least £50 more.

The 3000 Rude is dark and low-pitched. I’m not sure where it fits in yet but I can recognise the quality despite the crack. We are talking about a £15 cymbal here.

As for the Zyns, I wasn’t expecting too much. I was told that the bronze (B20 alloy?) is the same as the 502 range, a mentor of mine in the 80s had a Super Zyn ride he adored. They only arrived yesterday. The ride was perfectly playable and responsive reminding me of the PST5 ride but the 16 crash was a real surprise. I swapped it to’ pride of place’ above the 12” tom and found every excuse to crash it in the company of the AAX, SH Stagg and Myra.

I can’t recall where the Stagg 16 came from. The AAX 16 was part of my ‘original’ set but is now ‘damaged’. All together I estimate that the cost of the cymbals I have put together is under £200.

http://www.sabbracadabrarock.uk
    Bloomdido
    Excellent Contributer

United Kingdom
    202 Posts

Posted – 21/11/2016 : 17:02:16 Show Profile Visit Bloomdido’s Homepage Reply with Quote
    I am now using the Rude as a hi-hat bottom. It sounds great with one of the 16″ crashes.
    http://www.sabbracadabrarock.uk
    Go to Top of Page
    Sharklaar
    Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
    2776 Posts

Posted – 21/11/2016 : 20:46:31 Show Profile Visit Sharklaar’s Homepage Reply with Quote
    Staggs are great for the money. I’ve got a 14″ ‘lion’ type china, love it. I’ve had a load of Staggs over the years, always loved ’em
    http://www.blackhawkdown.org.uk

NEW VIDEO – MUST WATCH NOW! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnT34aJ5hwE
    Go to Top of Page
    Bewdy
    Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
    1406 Posts

Posted – 24/11/2016 : 20:09:44 Show Profile Visit Bewdy’s Homepage Reply with Quote
    My Stagg SH 10″ china is probably my favorite cymbal. Short, sharp, attack, a lovely fizz and a very quick decay. I just love it’s pitch, and it’s not got that gong like cheap sound to it. It’s so perfect for little accents here and there, and I definitely over use it!!

I’ve even considered getting a spare in case they stop making them, and at £30 I probably should!

My other cheap cymbal is a Zildjian Scimitar 20″ ride. It’s a weird yellow colour, I’ve had it since I was 12, but it just seems to have every kind of sound in it I like. I super clear bell, a great defined bow, and the edge is nice and washy for more jazzy stuff. It was bargain and I’d stack it up against cymbals costing many times more. It sounds great on recordings, and the best bit is…. you can’t hear the yellow colour.
    http://www.urbanstart.co.uk
    WORK: http://www.virtual-engineering.co.uk PLAY: http://soundcloud.com/voodoo-cartel
    Go to Top of Page
    Ceej
    Very Active Contributer

United Kingdom
    120 Posts

Posted – 25/11/2016 : 10:39:21 Show Profile Reply with Quote
    Have just ordered a 10″ Stagg China off the back of your review Bewdy – have been looking for a small splash/china to use with my cocktail kit and that sounds like the job. Thanks for that.

Generally on the subject of budget cymbals the first set I bought was a set of Sabian XS20s – the standard (rock?) set: 14″ hats, 16″ crash and 20″ ride and after all these years I still use them. I’ve tried others in the range – 18″ crash and 10″ splash and not got on with them – but that first set was great value.

The 14″ bottom hat also doubles as a very usable small ride cymbal for a cocktail kit.
    Go to Top of Page
    Sharklaar
    Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
    2776 Posts

Posted – 25/11/2016 : 11:11:07 Show Profile Visit Sharklaar’s Homepage Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bewdy

My Stagg SH 10″ china is probably my favorite cymbal. Short, sharp, attack, a lovely fizz and a very quick decay. I just love it’s pitch, and it’s not got that gong like cheap sound to it. It’s so perfect for little accents here and there, and I definitely over use it!!

I’ve even considered getting a spare in case they stop making them, and at £30 I probably should!

My other cheap cymbal is a Zildjian Scimitar 20″ ride. It’s a weird yellow colour, I’ve had it since I was 12, but it just seems to have every kind of sound in it I like. I super clear bell, a great defined bow, and the edge is nice and washy for more jazzy stuff. It was bargain and I’d stack it up against cymbals costing many times more. It sounds great on recordings, and the best bit is…. you can’t hear the yellow colour.

I got a set of Scimitars for practically pennies, just to use at a jam night (so my nice cymbals didn’t get wrecked). Can’t say I was too keen on the crash or the hats, but the ride was reasonable. Sold them all straight afterwards, again for pennies…
    http://www.blackhawkdown.org.uk

NEW VIDEO – MUST WATCH NOW! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnT34aJ5hwE

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.