Kick Drum Dampening

You are here:Home/Forums/General Discussion/Kick Drum Dampening
Kick Drum Dampening 2017-08-21T17:55:12+00:00

Home Forums General Discussion Kick Drum Dampening

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
  • Profile photo of Mike MonaghanMike Monaghan
    Participant
    #477 |

As per this months VFTDS…

http://mikedolbear.com/view-from-the-drum-stool/pillow-talk-not-ikea-advert/

… I wonder what y’all favour to dampen your kicks?

Pillow, duvet, sleeping bag, blanket, cushion, foam, newspaper, or even the classic felt strips?

I’ve had a lot of luck recently with a fairly dense blanket. It touches on both heads but leaves lots of space in the drum so the air can really move. Though I normally end up bak at the good old fashioned trustee pillow!

Profile photo of SharklaarSharklaar
    Participant

I currently use one of these…

With Evans Emad/Remad heads. Get a great thud with not a lot of ring. Good for close mic’ing, takes volume out for unmic’d though.

Profile photo of Matt NolanMatt Nolan
    Participant

I’m a big fan of water for dampening 😉

Profile photo of Mike MonaghanMike Monaghan
    Participant

Interesting, a nice idea but looks to lack any options. Once it’s in it’s in right?

I like to change the amount of contact the dampening has with the heads from time to time – especially in the studio.

Profile photo of SharklaarSharklaar
    Participant

Yeah it’s ever-so-slightly longer than the bass drum is deep, so the whole surface area of the end of it is in contact with both heads, so no adjustment is possible.

Profile photo of MarkWMarkW
    Participant

For years I’ve used an Evans EMad and the reso heads have always tended to come pre fitted with a dampening ring around the diameter. No hole in the front skin and no complaints from audience, band or PA Men either micd or unmicd.
    Prior to discovering the EMad I would use just a light hand towel rested against the bottom of the batter head

Profile photo of Kevin MooneyKevin Mooney
    Participant

I’ve just bought my first EMAD head to try. hoping it work just like you say it does.

Profile photo of PabsPabs
    Participant

I first tried an EMAD about 3/4 years ago , so impressed I’ve put one on the 20,22 and 24.
    I defo recommend them.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.