John Grey snare drums – Moved From The Old Forum

You are here:Home/Forums/Vintage Gear/John Grey snare drums – Moved From The Old Forum
John Grey snare drums – Moved From The Old Forum 2017-06-16T23:07:57+00:00

Home Forums Vintage Gear John Grey snare drums – Moved From The Old Forum

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
  • Profile photo of Simon EdgooseSimon Edgoose
    Keymaster
    #148 |

wayne
    Advanced Contributer

Canada
    845 Posts

Posted – 29/03/2017 : 04:50:14 Show Profile Reply with Quote
    Is anyone playing one of these old girls?..Im getting one with a kit soon and was curious how you felt about them.
    Hit like you mean it!
    Captain Bubble
    Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
    19666 Posts

Posted – 30/03/2017 : 10:19:07 Show Profile Visit Captain Bubble’s Homepage Reply with Quote
    Not for many years, but my first kit was a used John Grey Autocrat, 20″ BD, 12×8″and 16 x 16″ toms and 14 x 5″ SD.
    I was a complete beginner and had little idea of how drums could and should sound, or how to make modifications. I found it difficult to get the SD sounding reasonable (to my inexperienced ears) but whatever I did with tuning and snare tension never seemed to achieve much, and it sounded a bit thin, dead and non-projecting to me. At one point I took both heads off and noticed that the shell was slightly warped so that the edges were not flat. Eventually I bought a new Premier 2000 SD, and even though I knew diddly squat about drums this drum pleased me far more.

Just my experience, not sure if the limitations of the JG were at least in part that I was new to drums, and perhaps nowadays I could get it to work far better for me. Also I am not sure if the warping was the ONLY cause of it not pleasing me….heads and snares in those days were far less highly quality than now.
    Marcus de Mowbray
    http://www.330studios.co.uk/marcus
    Go to Top of Page
    Bob Henrit
    Very Active Contributer

United Kingdom
    112 Posts

Posted – 30/03/2017 : 14:22:39 Show Profile Reply with Quote
    I wrote a Vintage Views piece on John Grey on 14 August 2015. Look it up on the Dolbear site’s search box.
    R.J.Henrit
    Go to Top of Page
    pellis
    Active Contributer

52 Posts

Posted – 05/04/2017 : 19:59:40 Show Profile Reply with Quote
    I have an Autocrat–late 60’s. Well put together. It sounds pretty nice, excellent rim shots, not a large voice, nice with brushes. Built pre-international, new 14″ heads don’t work well. I had a fair bit of fussing with wedges, and files, under the hoops in order to get heads to sit well(ish). The throw likes a medium tension and won’t hold a tight tension even if you ask it nicely.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.