I knew it was all going too well !!!!!!!!

You are here:Home/Forums/General Discussion/I knew it was all going too well !!!!!!!!
I knew it was all going too well !!!!!!!! 2017-10-31T17:54:02+00:00

Home Forums General Discussion I knew it was all going too well !!!!!!!!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
  • Profile photo of Chris HutchinsonChris Hutchinson
    Participant
    #714 |

Hi all. As ever thanks for the advice. So I bought the kit. And I got the snare. AndI have now added a 21′ Zildijan A custom Rezo Ride. Plus 14″ Rezo hi Hats. However…. When I was going over some things last night I realised I had bought a 22 x 18 Bass. My old one was 20 x 16 and I was really only thinking of going 20 x 18. Not sur if I’ve dropped a bollock. It’s my fault entirely on one else’s. The configuration of the kit is 10 x 8. 12 x 9. 14 x 12 & 22 x 18. Not sure if the floor tom might be a bit shallow. And worried the Bass is going to be all thump and no punch. THe kit is still in the warehouse for another week or so as I have no where to put it up at the moment. I’d welcome your opionions as always. Cheers.

Profile photo of Kevin MooneyKevin Mooney
    Participant

You have nothing to worry about.

20″ BDs are lovely. There’s a touch more pop to them that can cut through nicely. They are punchy.

But there’s a reason 22″ BDs are still the standard size. They offer the most flexibility. You absolutely can get the same punch and cut from a 22 with the right head and tuning. Just like you can get a healthy amount of bottom end power and slap with the right head and tuning. Neither a 20 or a 22 will sound identical, but behind a band the differences are negligible even to another drummer. Punters will care not a jot.

And the same goes for the 14×12. You’ll get almost exactly the same tuning range and tone as a 14×14 with the right heads and tuning. In fact it will most likely be easier to tune and tonally more in balance with the other toms.

I’ve owned 22×20, 22×18, 22×16, 22×14, 20×16 and 20×14 BDs. The depth made more of an impact on their potential sound range than the diameter to me. I’m now using a 22×16 as it covers every need I have.

The same goes for the tom. 14×14 and 14×12 hanging toms, 14×14 and 14×12 floor toms, and how it’s mounted has the biggest impact on sound. I have a 14×12 floor tom (and a 16×14) and it lacks for nothing.

Just my opinion, drums are very personal, but I think you’ll struggle to find the limits of that kit musically in all but the most specific situations.

Profile photo of PabsPabs
    Participant

mmmmm, strange one Chris..you can defo make that configuration work as Kev says, but for me it would drive me nuts.
    Personally I would have to have a 20″BD with that setup. Just seems a bit out of sync with the tom sizes being more
    of a fusion setup.
    Sorry I know that’s no help , just my opinion mate.

I’m kinda surprised at the tom sizes if I’m honest, based on the kind of music you said your band played.
    Personally I’d have gone – 12″ 13″ 16″ 22″ but that’s just me.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by Profile photo of Pabs Pabs.
    Profile photo of MarkWMarkW
    Participant

It’s a slightly unusual configuration, I too would have expected a 20″ bass drum to go with those sizes, however it should be ok. I find that in all but the most extreme conditions, most drum sizes will work or will be able to be made to work. We obsess over materials and inches in depth and width but unless you’re using a multi tom set up with very specific tunings, then in even a worst case scenario you get by, in truth it all makes very little difference.

Profile photo of Hector1Hector1
    Participant

Quite agree Mark

very good point as it should be better to have more than less surely? At least that way you can turn up or down or muffle etc what may or may not be required as with a lesser kit your stick with it-think middle of the road kind of thing.

Its a lot easier for me as I use electronics a lot but as I have always said these ca be some of your best friends if you keep it simple but effective. Do not need Laptops etc either! Keep it with what available and dedicated for the drums and think outside the box.

Profile photo of Chris HutchinsonChris Hutchinson
    Participant

HI ALL. My thanks as ever. Struggling with this dilemma now. So to come in from a different angle. Does anyone have any thoughts opinions re. Sakae, Gretch, and DW. I have also tried Yamaha but they seem reluctant to go the hanging toms route. I have basically till the 17th to make a decision. I know you all probably think I’m a right Fanny but this is the last kit so it has to be right. Thanks all in anticipation. Chris.

Profile photo of PabsPabs
    Participant

Hi Chris, I’m getting confused myself now mate 😄 , what sizes are you wanting to get again ?
    The brands mentioned are all top stuff, I’ve been looking at getting a Sakae Trilogy kit myself lately.
    A quick search online will tell you their history.

Serious question – Have you considered going custom made ? Your own spec ? Built for you, to your budget ?
    I urge you to look at the likes of Highwood Drums etc and consider that option also.

Participant

Likewise Chris-I’m a tad confused aswell, I appreciate that you have got to make a decision and although we all speak from our own experiences etc, which can be very credible for some and confusing to others its still time to get a grip and make that decision.

The custom route is a very worthy cause but also very expensive-but if it has to be then at least that option is available its just a case of then who do I go with to customise?-Back to the same frame of mind with the already mades!

Anyway-I really like the old Gretch snares they are incredible but then so are the Ludwig full kits and very much admire the Sonors too.

The Sakae are very good indeed and liked that ever since I see one played by Ash Soan at a drum clinic that Mike held a few years ago.

The Yamahas-well if its not a recording kit then probably wouldn’t be my personal bag,DW are just plain cold too my liking, even though some of my favourite drummers in recent years have crossed over, I think its more a case of support and being readily available rather than performance values for me, but that’s just my personal view.

So wish you well with the time in closing and please let us know what the outcome is, whatever you do is for you and its not a fashion show its got to be what you really like and what’s going to work for you, again something in the custom market may bring you to understand that you will be the Boss all the way from conception through to overall construction but be prepared for the bill at the end, Budget wide 🙂 LOL

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by Profile photo of Hector1 Hector1.
    Profile photo of MarkWMarkW
    Participant

I think it’s time for you to make your own decision on this Chris.
    I will give my opinion on custom kits, for the fairly standard sizes you’re after and because you haven’t been bitten by the bug from a particular builder you’ll be spending money you don’t have to.
    As to the manufacturers you named, it all comes down to personal preference. YOUR personal preference. To use an analogy, by asking us to choose for you it’s like marrying a random woman and deciding that you’ll then fall in love with her. You need to find the woman you love first and THEN marry her.
    Dare I say that until you find that kit that you keep going back to look at, or feel, or fiddle with then you should delay your decision. Out of your options there’s no doubt you’ll buy a great piece of equipment but it may not have that X Factor you crave to fill that hole.
    Of the kits I’ve bought there’s often been a period of days or weeks revisiting the online advert, eBay listing, or the shop where it’s on show with a feeling of dread that it may have sold while I was deciding. That’s the kind of emotion you need to feel if you’re determined to go big on your last kit.

Participant
    Participant
    Profile photo of Chris HutchinsonChris Hutchinson
    Participant

Hi all . Sorry for the conufusion. What happened was I bought a kit. Which is still in the warehouse of the shop as I don’t have anywhere to put it till Friday. But I have paid for it. I then realised the kit had a 22″ x 18″ Bass drum when I had actually wanted to a 20″ X 18 it was an oversight on my part. The shop has been very helpful but the bottom line is I have bought it. I have been over your thoughts several times now, all of which I have to say have been incredibly helpful and relevant. Where are we now ???? I pick the kit up Friday…. As you have said with the correct tuning ( that I won’t be doing myself ) I should be able to get a punchy cut to the 22″. The guy I have lessons from suggested raising my stool slightly, to compensate for the extra couple of inches, so I can get the hanging toms as close to me as possible. So gentleman with your help I am almost there. The kit is a Pearl Masters Premium. 10×8 12×9 14×14 22×18. 14×6 Craviotto snare. Zildijan 14″ Rezo hi hats , and a 21″ Zildijan Rezo ride. So now for the Crashes.. !!!!! At the moment I still have Pst 8 16″ medium crash and a 18″ complimentary medium crash ( as they were bought in a box set ) they are ok but I’m looking more for something a bit more cutting and brighter. As a measuring stick I once had a 16″ & 18″ Istanbul traditional and found them far to dark . Even the band I was in at the time noticed the difference. Thanks a lot lads. We’re nearly there. Take care.

Participant

Well done Chris some great pieces of kit there with the shell set and choice of snare, massive range of tuning available to you aswell so I would say as good as its going to get on a personal choice venture and money well spent on the last Hurrah to purchase. You should have some very happy days with that little bundle and once used to it and it starts to make you smile you’ll look back and be glad you got what you got I’m sure 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.