Heads – too much choice! – Moved From The Old Forum

You are here:Home/Forums/Help & Advice/Heads – too much choice! – Moved From The Old Forum
Heads – too much choice! – Moved From The Old Forum 2017-06-16T23:27:59+00:00

Home Forums Help & Advice Heads – too much choice! – Moved From The Old Forum

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster
    #164 |

DougTheDrum
    Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
    775 Posts

Posted – 12/01/2017 : 10:02:37 Show Profile Visit DougTheDrum’s Homepage Reply with Quote
    Morning guys, hope you’re doing OK this chilly morning and may be able to help me come to a decision over head choice! There are so many variations on each line I’m getting confused!

I’ve always been a Remo Pinstripe man, must hark back to the 80s when I first started drumming. Or laziness – they are so easy to tune! At 52 I’ve mellowed out a bit, pared the kit down to basics and I’m looking for a change.

My kit: c.1978 Pearl All Maple shells (12/14/20). Pearl Jupiter parallel action snare (14×5).

Music played: Pop/ballad – think Sara Bareilles.

I’m looking for something warm sounding, no harshness, with good tone and sustain. I’m sort of drawn to Coated Emporer but don’t have a lot of experience with them. Or Fyberskyn, but again there are variations (Ambassador, thin, medium, powerstroke 3)!

I know everyone will have their own opinion, and that’s what I’m after really – suggestions/advice.

Thanks for your time. Doug

Pearl Maple 1978 (12/14/20)
    Premier Olympic 1950s kit in white duroplastic
    Bewdy
    Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
    1406 Posts

Posted – 12/01/2017 : 15:25:34 Show Profile Visit Bewdy’s Homepage Reply with Quote
    I played Pinstripes for a long time, then I moved to Evan EC2’s which are more or less the same kind of thing. But I started to tire of the plasticy sounding attack and so I moved over to Clear Evan G2s, (which are a 7 mil two ply) and I found these to be more open than the Pinstripes/EC2s. Now I’m wondering about going for a coated G2 (for a bit more warmth) or even coated G14s, (which is a single 14mil ply), but the equivalent thickness of the G2.

You’re right there is too much choice! One thing I would say, is that I really like the Evans 360 concept of having a squarer collar on the heads, and I think that they seat a lot better than Remo heads. Worth checking out if you’ve always been a Remo man. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Fn2SSc04xs
    http://www.urbanstart.co.uk
    WORK: http://www.virtual-engineering.co.uk PLAY: http://soundcloud.com/voodoo-cartel
    Go to Top of Page
    martydrums
    Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
    7639 Posts

Posted – 12/01/2017 : 16:05:15 Show Profile Reply with Quote
    Yes there is an enormous amount of choice now Doug.

I note what Bewdy says re the Evans 360. I only think this really comes in to play if you drums have a particularly wide outside diameter. If you have been using pinstripes for years then I’ve got to assume the remo heads will sit nice on your edges.

If you want a tom sound that has more sustain than the pinnies but warm too then coated Emps over clear Ambos would be worth trying. You might want to consider the Vintage Ambo too. Another nice combo is coated Ambo over coated Ambo. It’s amazing how much effect a coated reso head has on “warmth”.

At least you only have 2 toms to deal with, so head experimentation is a lot less costly than on a Simon Phillips kinda kit!

Official Sugar Daddy of the forum’s Sonor Delite appreciation society, as nominated by Jamoca – Honorary President Paul Brook

Go to Top of Page
    Captain Bubble
    Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
    19666 Posts

Posted – 12/01/2017 : 16:26:57 Show Profile Visit Captain Bubble’s Homepage Reply with Quote
    I like Vintage Ambassadors too. I normal thickness ply plus a layer of snare side ultra thin. Great tuning range: at higher tuning they sound quite bright and jazzy, lower down they thicken up nicely. I do like the collar on some Evans and Aquarians but still tend to stick with what I know!

I also use vellum heads on some drums which I love, and a few synthetic equivalents like Remo Skyntone and Evans Calftone.
    Marcus de Mowbray
    http://www.330studios.co.uk/marcus
    Go to Top of Page
    DougTheDrum
    Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
    775 Posts

Posted – 16/01/2017 : 09:58:58 Show Profile Visit DougTheDrum’s Homepage Reply with Quote
    Cheers guys, appreciate your input. I’ve gone for Vintage Ambassadors coated as batter, over Clear Ambassadors as reso for my 12 and 14 toms. Will let you know how they sound! Doug
    Pearl Maple 1978 (12/14/20)
    Premier Olympic 1950s kit in white duroplastic
    Go to Top of Page
    Captain Bubble
    Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
    19666 Posts

Posted – 16/01/2017 : 12:11:37 Show Profile Visit Captain Bubble’s Homepage Reply with Quote
    I first heard them at one of Jeff Davenport’s excellent Remo Drum Tuning Workshops in London. In the past I had not got on with double ply heads (except on bass drums) but his demo of Vintage Ambs totally swayed me. Currently have one as batter on my 16 x 10″ BD, with a Skyntone display head and really pleased with the depth of tone at low tension, yet still a great deal of sustain for a 2 ply head on a very small BD!
    Marcus de Mowbray
    Go to Top of Page
    docadiddle
    Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
    1739 Posts

Posted – 18/01/2017 : 19:09:23 Show Profile Reply with Quote
    I’m also a big VA fan, got them over G1s on my 12 and 16″ toms.
    A short distance along the long, hard road from novice to MayerWhiteism
    Go to Top of Page
    Drumfire
    New Contributer

44 Posts

Posted – 19/01/2017 : 14:00:25 Show Profile Reply with Quote
    I recently tried clear emperors on my 12″ and 16″ club custom toms.
    I was looking for a fat sound to suit 70’s and disco tunes in a covers band.
    Well, the sustain from the Tom’s was unbelievable and not what I was hoping for.
    I’m thinking of trying a coated VA on 12″ tom and coated emperor on floor tom.
    I was wondering what this combo might sound like if I use the clear emperors as bottom heads .
    Any ideas ?
    Vin Pearson
    Go to Top of Page
    Unkle Kev
    Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
    2164 Posts

Posted – 19/01/2017 : 14:25:27 Show Profile Visit Unkle Kev’s Homepage Reply with Quote
    Those new Evans UV1 heads look like the mutt’s…had a few people say they kick bottom.
    Go to Top of Page
    Captain Bubble
    Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
    19666 Posts

Posted – 19/01/2017 : 17:01:22 Show Profile Visit Captain Bubble’s Homepage Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Drumfire

I recently tried clear emperors on my 12″ and 16″ club custom toms.
    I was looking for a fat sound to suit 70’s and disco tunes in a covers band.
    Well, the sustain from the Tom’s was unbelievable and not what I was hoping for.
    I’m thinking of trying a coated VA on 12″ tom and coated emperor on floor tom.
    I was wondering what this combo might sound like if I use the clear emperors as bottom heads .
    Any ideas ?

Before you go spending a lot of money, consider this: a lot of the 70s sounds were achieved with muffling techniques and materials rather than trying different types of 2 ply head! If you buy really dead heads and in one venue NEED a bit more sustain/tone/resonance you are stuck! Emperor’s should be great for that sound but for your requirements you could add damping materials and/or products. Handkerchief, wallet, duster, Moongel, Blue Tack, Gaffa Tape, gaffa tape and paper towel…..
    Marcus de Mowbray
    Go to Top of Page
    Drumfire
    New Contributer

44 Posts

Posted – 19/01/2017 : 20:24:05 Show Profile Reply with Quote
    Thanks Captain.
    I have moongel and your advice is welcome.
    I normally like a bit of sustain but as this band do a full mic up of the kit I need a ” dead”
    Vin Pearson
    Go to Top of Page
    Captain Bubble
    Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
    19666 Posts

Posted – 20/01/2017 : 07:54:24 Show Profile Visit Captain Bubble’s Homepage Reply with Quote
    I have an Evans Genera Dry Vented on one of my Spacer snares so that visitors can hear how different heads sound on them. I think they might be out of production, but about as dry as you can get!
    Marcus de Mowbray
    Go to Top of Page
    Drumfire
    New Contributer

44 Posts

Posted – 20/01/2017 : 10:34:35 Show Profile Reply with Quote
    Yes, I had a genera dry on my 402 snare once and I loved it.
    Do you think it would be possible to use a hot needle and get the same effect ?
    I might try it on a used head and see.
    Vin Pearson
    Go to Top of Page
    Mark W
    Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
    1595 Posts

Posted – 20/01/2017 : 12:50:00 Show Profile Visit Mark W’s Homepage Reply with Quote
    Hi Drumfire.
    I bought a couple of those Aquarian Studio Rings for about a fiver for my two toms.
    If I was taking a purist’s viewpoint I’d run a mile from them.
    But taking the viewpoint of a drummer who plays most gigs unmic’d but some gigs close mic’d and is after a thumpy stompy 70s Glam Rock for those close mic’d gigs, then they’re a Godsend.
    Once I’ve hit it, it stays hit.

http://andromedaband.webs.com/
    Go to Top of Page
    Captain Bubble
    Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
    19666 Posts

Posted – 20/01/2017 : 12:51:34 Show Profile Visit Captain Bubble’s Homepage Reply with Quote
    The Genera Dry Vented did not just have a circle of holes near the edge, it also had an integral “doughnut” extending about 1 1/2″ inward from the bearing edge, and also perforated, IIRC it is Snare Side film. IMO this probably had far more affect than the holes as it was not glued or fixed to the top ply.
    Marcus de Mowbray
    Go to Top of Page
    Drumfire
    New Contributer

44 Posts

Posted – 21/01/2017 : 18:52:37 Show Profile Reply with Quote
    Thanks for the advice.
    I’ve enjoyed the thread and always look for threads on head choice.
    I see remo have introduced bass drum heads with felt strip installed.
    I think I will try coated emperor heads as most of my gigs only the bass drum is mic’d
    Will try the donuts for toms when mic’d.
    I’ve been playing for 45 years and never had a problem tuning toms until I tried the clear emporers. I wonder if they are dodgy heads – or maybe I need to invest in a tune- bot!
    Vin Pearson
    Go to Top of Page
    Captain Bubble
    Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
    19666 Posts

Posted – 21/01/2017 : 21:11:36 Show Profile Visit Captain Bubble’s Homepage Reply with Quote
    I have to say that I have only used Emperors on the 24″ bass drums of my BIG Spacer kit, and I am very happy with them. In fact I am currently adapting the 18″ tom to use as a bass drum for a compact set-up, and I ordered an Emp for it….and it arrived today, yay!
    Marcus de Mowbray
    Go to Top of Page
    dwpaddy
    Advanced Contributer

Ireland
    22899 Posts

Posted – 03/03/2017 : 13:43:33 Show Profile Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by martydrums

Yes there is an enormous amount of choice now Doug.

I note what Bewdy says re the Evans 360. I only think this really comes in to play if you drums have a particularly wide outside diameter. If you have been using pinstripes for years then I’ve got to assume the remo heads will sit nice on your edges.

If you want a tom sound that has more sustain than the pinnies but warm too then coated Emps over clear Ambos would be worth trying. You might want to consider the Vintage Ambo too. Another nice combo is coated Ambo over coated Ambo. It’s amazing how much effect a coated reso head has on “warmth”.

At least you only have 2 toms to deal with, so head experimentation is a lot less costly than on a Simon Phillips kinda kit!

Yup.
    thats my choice too..
    DWP

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.