Free practise space?

You are here:Home/Forums/General Discussion/Free practise space?
Free practise space? 2017-08-15T16:13:14+00:00

Home Forums General Discussion Free practise space?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    #460 |

Does anyone know of anything similar to this?
    http://www.freerehearsalspace.co.uk/

I’m able to record my electric drums in my flat, but I’d like to be able to occassionally spend some hours of a day recording my acoustic drums which isn’t possible because of bloody neighbours. I’d just like to record myself playing covers to backing tracks or making a drum lesson I can upload such as a breakdown of a lick or showing rudiments or whatever.

The cheapest rehearsal space near me in north london is £4 an hour. While that’s a good price, I don’t want to spend £20 to £30 a day. Especially as I might not get the recording I like by the end of it. I would feel pressure on myself to get it done, whereas I want to take my time. I saw on Gumtree that some people rent spaces out for like £20 a week which would be fine, but they’re a bit far away. Any suggestions for free or super cheap commercial places to go set up my drums, little mixer and a couple of mics? I don’t care what it looks like, just a small space would be fine. I was thinking about those big yellow storage buildings where you can rent a lock up but they don’t have any mains power points.

Profile photo of Kevin MooneyKevin Mooney
    Participant

Church halls used to be a great source of very cheap space. You could look to any of those locally possibly.

Profile photo of SharklaarSharklaar
    Participant

Surely £4ph in Laaaaandon is a super-bargain!?

My band uses a local village hall which is £5ph and I thought that was cheap!

Profile photo of murphstermurphster
    Participant

Its the thing that sucks the most about being a drummer in my opinion. I have a leccy kit for occasional home practice on rare occasions when everyone is out and a local practice rooms do a great weekday deal of 7.50 for 3 hours which i occasionally use if im off work. I’d say 4.00 an hour in london is a steal too. The dream is my own sound proof facility in the garden – roll on lottery win. Watched a good drumeo video yesterday of a fella using brushes on a pizza box for rudiment practice.

Profile photo of Hector1Hector1
    Participant

Yes that would have been the one with Jason Sutter I think? I checked that out as well-guy grooves very well and plenty of good tips and showmanship there 🙂

Profile photo of Hector1Hector1
    Participant

On the point of practice space etc-yes incredibly frustrating that is, specially as we all try and accommodate other peoples noises all the time, but when it comes to the drums we are some what dammed most of the time!

If I ever won the lottery and enough money became of it I always said to myself that this is something that I would network for as far as possible for such rooms to be available or spaces to help people out in these situations. Maybe we should get a Gum tree style thread going for possible ads available or promote places in a directory form if possible which might help-could be a face book enterprise maybe if you posted an ad or something like that in those areas and possible funding request etc-I mean it worked for Benny Grebb didn’t it? LOL 🙂

Profile photo of LeeLee
    Participant

Sorry for the late reply chaps! Yeah, a church is a possibility. But I think I’ll put this on the back burner for now and will bide my time. It’s only really my upstairs neighbour that is the problem. I own my flat downstairs and the flat upstairs is rented out. They’re great neighbours who used to be out most of the day, and my neighbours in the adjacent houses are out most of the day, so playing real drums wasn’t much of an issue within reason. But now my upstairs neighbour is on maternity leave. They were talking about finding somewhere else to live as the flat is now too small for them. So I’m hoping they move soon and whoever moves in is out at work and not another stay at home mum, lol.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.