drummers are brothers and sisters, related by numbers and blisters

You are here:Home/Forums/General Discussion/drummers are brothers and sisters, related by numbers and blisters
drummers are brothers and sisters, related by numbers and blisters 2017-10-05T21:22:29+00:00

Home Forums General Discussion drummers are brothers and sisters, related by numbers and blisters

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
  • Profile photo of Lee James McMenemyLee James McMenemy
    Participant
    #640 |

I cave recently came up with another way in which to wright rythm, something i call Shared Time, something i origianlly came across about 7 years ago, sitting at my granparents house, waching the cu cu clock, trying to feel 4 beats at the same time as every 5 ticks, wondering if you could feel them as one tempo. i finally figured out the pattern.. 1…2′..3.’.4..’5… which is 4 groups of 5 notes (quintupplets) at the same time as 5 groups of 4 semi quavers, with the tick at the start of each group of notes, so the concept being that with any two notes, like 9 groups of 5 notes would give you the same answer as 5 groups of 9, 5 groups of 6 would give you the same answer as 6 groups of 5, which is 30, as you start sharing the numbers, more numbers open up, (36) 1 36 is 36, 2 18s are 36, 3 12 are 36, 4 9s, 6 6s, 9 4s, 12 3s, 18 2s & 36 lots of 1 is 36, iv’e literally spent 100s of hours working on this, I have also figured a way of writing it, A Shared Time bar can have upto 10 different values within it. By using every measurement in a Shared Time bar, with a “ST” sign at start of a bar, its time to share the values. You can base the structure of a groove in more than 1 time signature, Because they all share a percentage. Ther’s lots of illusions that can be created by sharing values and tempos, you can have the music so that it appears to be changing tempo around the groove, and ther’s alot more targets created on the feild of rythm, meaning that jamming along to the shared time rythm with a guitar, synth or whatever, there is much more room rythm wise to make mistakes, This week i created a youtube channel in order to get this information out there as a feel it will really benifit the music industry as a whole, Im gonna get in a studio next week and drum along to the shared time tracks i have created to demonstrate what you can do please subscribe to my youtube channel and work with me on this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X7_IrQQjFo peace 🙂 Hers is a number exercise i cam up to introduce it, with 5 beats on the metronome, keep in mind you could have 1 beat a bar, 2 beats a bar, 3 beats a bar, 5 beats a br, 6 beats a br, 10 beats a bar, 15 beats a bar and 30 beats a bar.

Profile photo of SharklaarSharklaar
    Participant

Now this might look like spam, but it isn’t.

I am capable of very little beyond 4/4. Once I apparently played some 7/8, and I didn’t even know I was playing 7/8 at the time. My pet guitarist told me afterwards.
    So I have no idea what you’re on about dude.

Profile photo of LeeLee
    Participant

“I recently came up with another way in which to wright rythm

Was it by leaving out the ‘h’?

I’m kidding. I understand your enthusiasm for your advanced and no doubt mind bogglingly clever concept.
    But it’s very complicated, made more difficult by a hard to understand explanation. I’ve watched your videos and no doubt you play well and have good time with the metronome. If you’re to share this with the music industry and actually get people interested, I’d suggest you learn a way to simplify the explanation of your ideas, record higher quality audio and video that isn’t narrowed by black borders either side, and demonstrate on a real kit, (but I think you said you’re doing the studio soon). Good luck mate 🙂

Profile photo of PabsPabs
    Participant

😂 I’m lucky enough to be able to play by ear, so don’t think about it too much hehehe !!

Profile photo of Lee James McMenemyLee James McMenemy
    Participant

cheers mate 🙂 appreciate the advice, i should have just waited till the studio till i put up any vids, but i couldnt resist giving it a shot, looking at it now though a few shorter paragraghs wouldn’t have been a miss, basicly, to sum it up a bit shorter and sweeter i hope, i have came up with another way of writing rhythm. Having a larger number of beats to a bar, divided up into all of the patterns that work, and writing the beat based on sharing the cross rhythms that you choose, but it can also be written as different time signatures, as notes, with stems of notes of a different number ontop. i’ll leave it at that for now like i said haha

Profile photo of Lee James McMenemyLee James McMenemy
    Participant

cheers mate 🙂 appreciate the advice, i should have just waited till the studio till i put up any vids, but i couldnt resist giving it a shot, looking at it now though a few shorter paragraghs wouldn’t have been a miss, basicly, to sum it up a bit shorter and sweeter i hope, i have came up with another way of writing rhythm. Having a larger number of beats to a bar, divided up into all of the patterns that work, and writing the beat based on sharing the cross rhythms that you choose, but it can also be written as different time signatures, as notes, with stems of notes of a different number ontop. i’ll leave it at that for now like i said haha

Profile photo of Hector1Hector1
    Participant

Yes likewise-I cant see or understand anything new within your concept or explanation of this Wrighting of Rhythm placement system that you are following except that it works for you? Well no problem with that, but there’s nothing new in the time divisions tempo stakes or time signatures there that I can see are going to make a relative change to how people approach music or otherwise. Have you put this story toward say the RCM in the UK as there are some very well heeled people there particularly the Piano musicians who are experts in such fields as this and when ever I have spoken to some decent keyboard players they are generally the most helpful and knowledgeable people to get me in and out of musical ideas that I have ever experienced due to the ways they work within the music transpositions and written musical pieces.

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by Profile photo of Hector1 Hector1.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.