DIY gearless cymbal tilter – Moved From The Old Forum

You are here:Home/Forums/Cymbals/DIY gearless cymbal tilter – Moved From The Old Forum
DIY gearless cymbal tilter – Moved From The Old Forum 2017-06-16T23:16:46+00:00

Home Forums Cymbals DIY gearless cymbal tilter – Moved From The Old Forum

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
  • Profile photo of Simon EdgooseSimon Edgoose
    Keymaster
    #155 |

docadiddle
    Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
    1739 Posts

Posted – 03/10/2016 : 16:33:07 Show Profile Reply with Quote
    Don’t know about everyone else but I’ve always found that with my old stands it can be a bit difficult to get the angle of my cymbals spot on (OCD!!!). My tilters are geared with fairly coarse teeth and I’ve long admired the higher end models with gearless systems. Here’s a short video to show how I’ve made an easy modification which works a treat…….

A short distance along the long, hard road from novice to MayerWhiteism
    hector1
    Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
    2607 Posts

Posted – 03/10/2016 : 17:06:17 Show Profile Reply with Quote
    Good work there DocThis is what makes the forum worth the while-posts like that may well add more activity c/o Bewdy’s thread on the matter of dwindling practical and knowledge passing and exchanges for all.
    Drumming is like a meeting to conduct business.
    Go to Top of Page
    Sharklaar
    Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
    2776 Posts

Posted – 03/10/2016 : 17:37:15 Show Profile Visit Sharklaar’s Homepage Reply with Quote
    That’s pretty awesome, can it take a beasting without slipping? Did you make the plastic disc yourself?
    http://www.blackhawkdown.org.uk

NEW VIDEO – MUST WATCH NOW! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnT34aJ5hwE
    Go to Top of Page
    docadiddle
    Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
    1739 Posts

Posted – 03/10/2016 : 18:17:40 Show Profile Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sharklaar

That’s pretty awesome, can it take a beasting without slipping? Did you make the plastic disc yourself?

I haven’t gigged with it yet but my impression is that it will be absolutely fine. When it’s tightened it’s rock solid. I think the critical thing is the plastic which has to be slightly soft so that the teeth dig in; you can see the marks on the disc in the video.

I’m blessed in that my dad has got a workshop full of machinery and also loads of materials which he’s picked up over the years. He happened to have a small sample of plastic and we used that. I turned the disc on his lathe myself so it fits nicely. It would probably work with something made less precisely but the snug fit does help. I remember seeing some big tap washers in the plumbing department in B&Q in the past and they might be worth trying as they would be just the right softness I reckon, if the size is right. For my stand the dimensions were 1.6″ outside diameter and 0.9″ internal. I wondered about trying a cut up credit card but I think it’d be too thin and brittle.

Go to Top of Page
    docadiddle
    Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
    1739 Posts

Posted – 03/10/2016 : 18:25:10 Show Profile Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by hector1

Good work there DocThis is what makes the forum worth the while-posts like that may well add more activity c/o Bewdy’s thread on the matter of dwindling practical and knowledge passing and exchanges for all.

Cheers Hector. I do love a bit of DIY!
    Go to Top of Page
    Captain Bubble
    Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
    19666 Posts

Posted – 04/10/2016 : 07:33:50 Show Profile Visit Captain Bubble’s Homepage Reply with Quote
    Great idea.
    I still have some 1970s Pearl stands which were quite cheap and had a knurled (diamond serrated) barrel on which the spigot was mounted. These gave reliable toothless angle adjustment at a low price.

I did vaguely similar mods on the Eastern spurs I used for my 2 Spacer bass drums. Their teeth were not very well formed and always had a small amount of play and therefore the occasional rattle. Rubber discs between the teeth make them rock solid.
    Marcus de Mowbray
    http://www.330studios.co.uk/marcus
    Go to Top of Page
    docadiddle
    Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
    1739 Posts

Posted – 25/11/2016 : 10:41:56 Show Profile Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by docadiddle

quote:
    Originally posted by Sharklaar

I haven’t gigged with it yet but my impression is that it will be absolutely fine. When it’s tightened it’s rock solid. I think the critical thing is the plastic which has to be slightly soft so that the teeth dig in; you can see the marks on the disc in the video.

I’m blessed in that my dad has got a workshop full of machinery and also loads of materials which he’s picked up over the years. He happened to have a small sample of plastic and we used that. I turned the disc on his lathe myself so it fits nicely. It would probably work with something made less precisely but the snug fit does help. I remember seeing some big tap washers in the plumbing department in B&Q in the past and they might be worth trying as they would be just the right softness I reckon, if the size is right. For my stand the dimensions were 1.6″ outside diameter and 0.9″ internal. I wondered about trying a cut up credit card but I think it’d be too thin and brittle.

Update for the benefit of The Shark; now been gigged twice and works a treat with zero slippage.
    Go to Top of Page
    Booma
    Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
    362 Posts

Posted – 21/12/2016 : 13:38:04 Show Profile Visit Booma’s Homepage Reply with Quote
    …only just seen this thread. Like the simplicity and effectiveness of the solution very much. Nicely done.
    http://www.bluescalepublishing.co.uk
    Go to Top of Page
    docadiddle
    Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
    1739 Posts

Posted – 27/12/2016 : 13:11:59 Show Profile Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Booma

…only just seen this thread. Like the simplicity and effectiveness of the solution very much. Nicely done.

Cheers Booma.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.