13" snare: snares are rustling while 'snares off' – Moved From The Old Forum

You are here:Home/Forums/Help & Advice/13" snare: snares are rustling while 'snares off' – Moved From The Old Forum
13" snare: snares are rustling while 'snares off' – Moved From The Old Forum 2017-06-16T23:25:53+00:00

Home Forums Help & Advice 13" snare: snares are rustling while 'snares off' – Moved From The Old Forum

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster
    #163 |

Ralf
    Excellent Contributer

Germany
    177 Posts

Posted – 16/03/2017 : 23:34:37 Show Profile Visit Ralf’s Homepage Reply with Quote
    Hello,

Maybe this is a strange prob for some of you – but my 13″ (diameter) snare of my Prem Artist Heritage Club Kit has a rustling of the snares, although the lever is in the ‘Off’-position.
    I have no experience with 13″ snare from earlier times, as my other snare drum all are in 14″ diameter and mostly with parallel action (Prem 2000 and Star KingBeat), where such probs will never occur.

Is that rustling in general normal at 13″ snares due to the smaller diameter – or is it because some snare levers (such as my Prem) do not allow the snares to be enough ‘off’ the resonant head meaning: the space between position ‘On’ and ‘Off’ is not big enough?

I’m just wondering whether I must get used to play this snare with the ‘On’-position solely always?

Thanks for your advices!

Cheers, Ralf
    Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: http://www.star-drums.de
    Captain Bubble
    Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
    19666 Posts

Posted – 17/03/2017 : 07:50:21 Show Profile Visit Captain Bubble’s Homepage Reply with Quote
    This probably is not because of the size of the drum, but too little distance on the throw mechanism between On and Off, so that the snares are not hanging far enough below the head. Sometimes it can be because the strainer is not ideally located relative to the bottom head. I have found this problem on several drums, and I have found a simple solution which sometimes works.

I use Grosgrain ribbon (from eBay) to hold my snares on, but this trick also works with cords and sometimes with plastic strips (depending on the drum and throw.

When fitting the ribbons/cords/strips it is normal to place the drum upside down, loosen the strainer’s clamps then push the ribbon/cord/strap DOWNWARDS through the clamp, then tighten the screws. What I do is to make a “double bend” in the ribbon/cords/strap and feed their ends UPWARDS through the clamp then tighten the screws.

Once the drum is back the right way up, the ribbon will now pass over the top edge of the clamp, do a 180º bend then head down to the snares. There will now be less diagonal and more vertical setting of the ribbon and this maximises the strainer’s range. Grosgrain ribbon is particular useful for this as it is less stiff than strip or cord, so it is more inclined to hang closer to vertical, rather than remaining partially diagonal. The “Diagonality Syndrome” is the enemy of strainers with limited vertical travel, or placed to close to the bottom of the drum, ensure your snare connectors are as vertical as possible when Off !
    Marcus de Mowbray
    http://www.330studios.co.uk/marcus
    Go to Top of Page
    Ralf
    Excellent Contributer

Germany
    177 Posts

Posted – 18/03/2017 : 20:56:47 Show Profile Visit Ralf’s Homepage Reply with Quote
    Hello,

Thanks so far. That’s an interesting nice (and strange 😉 ) idea …
    I’ll check it out soon.

Cheers, Ralf
    Go to Top of Page
    Captain Bubble
    Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
    19666 Posts

Posted – 19/03/2017 : 07:19:10 Show Profile Visit Captain Bubble’s Homepage Reply with Quote
    On some drums and strainers this trick is easier to achieve if you completely remove just on bolt from the snare clamp, then bend the ribbon, then slide it over the clamp, then replace the other bolt and tighten them both in increments, while you keep adjusting the ribbon if needed.
    Marcus de Mowbray
    Go to Top of Page
    Ralf
    Excellent Contributer

Germany
    177 Posts

Posted – 07/04/2017 : 21:31:47 Show Profile Visit Ralf’s Homepage Reply with Quote
    Hello,

In the meantime I’ve placed two grossgrain ribbons on both sides, as you said.
    It works quite good. But against my habit, to loosen the two tension rods around the snares on each side, I had to tighten the tension there a little bit more, as still some noise was coming up from the snares, caused by the loose head at those two areas (left and right side of the head, close to the shell).
    Now, the rustling is almost gone, but the higher tension of the snare side head starts to make the snares sing now, if I beat the rack or the floor tom.
    This effect wasn’t there, when the head was more loose before …
    Guess I replaced one problem with another. – But this effect is much more acceptable than the rustling noise of the snares in the ‘Snares OFF’ position of the lever.

So thanks again for your valuable help. Appreciated greatly!

Cheers, Ralf
    Go to Top of Page
    Captain Bubble
    Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
    19666 Posts

Posted – 09/04/2017 : 15:31:28 Show Profile Visit Captain Bubble’s Homepage Reply with Quote
    No probs.
    You might need to examine the snare beds, perhaps they are too narrow or too deeply or steeply cut for your choice of snares, head and tuning.

Very VERY careful use of a hair dryer or heat gun can help a head to “shrink fit” the snare beds so that lower tension is possible there. Start at lowest heat and fair distance, then gradually reduce distance between heat and head, and if necessary increase heat by SMALL increments! While doing this look across head to see reflected light a an oblique angle (eyes almost level with head. That way you can spot the light’s reflection start to move a tiny amount when the head is just starting to heat shrink. Be very careful or you will melt the head!

Once all is really nice you should be able to re-set tension a bit lower, and that should redress the sympathetic resonance from your toms.
    Marcus de Mowbray

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.